Microsoft Teams is a chat-based workspace in Office 365. It enables the users to have the contents of all Office 365 applications in a single place and even it allows us to connect with third-party applications through Connectors.
Microsoft Teams can be accessed on all platforms - Web, Desktop, and Mobile.
Team - A single place is allowed to chat with a certain group of people, share & collaborate the contents within them.
Ensure the below access rights are configured in Office 365 admin center,
- Microsoft Teams should be enabled for Organization.
- Microsoft Teams license is activated for the user.
Who can create a Team? - Team Owner
Open the Microsoft Teams as a desktop app or from the web. To open the Microsoft Teams from the web, connect to the Teams site -https://teams.microsoft.com.
To View list of Teams & Channels
Click Teams button from the sidebar to see the list of teams available in Microsoft Teams.
Clicking on a team name opens the Team with the default channel in the Main View.
To Add New Team
- Click "Add Team" from the bottom left, next to the Sidebar. The main view shows the suggested teams with a "Create a Team" tile.
- From the Main View, click "Create a team".
- From the opened dialog box, I have entered -
Title as Writers Team,
Description as Members can share and collaborate their ideas with this new platform.
Choose Privacy as Public or Private based on your team requirement.
- Privacy team – Members are added by the Team Owners
- Public Team – Any member in the organization can join the team by without getting any approval
I have selected Public team – Anyone in your organization can join
- Then, click "Next" button which creates the team.
After the team creation, a dialog shows another form to add members. We can skip the form or add members from the Office 365 groups.
Note: Per account, we can have up to 250 teams.
- I have selected Test User 1 from the options and then, clicked "Add" button to add the user as a member by default.
We can also update the added user as the Owner by clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the member.
Note: A team can contain 999 members
- Click "Close" button to add the user as a member in the newly created Writers Team with default General.
After the creation of the team, the Microsoft Teams also enables the below items in Office 365.
- A new modern Team site collection with the same name as the team name, i.e., “Writers Team”.
- The general folder will be created in Shared Documents library in the “Writers Team” site.
- A new Office 365 group will be created.
So far, we have learned what is Microsoft Teams and how to add a new team to the Microsoft Teams. Stay tuned for a lot more Teams articles.